A 47-year-old UK woman almost died after trying a deadly detox trend.
In January of this year, a woman almost died after attempting a deadly detox trend. After doctors admitted her to intensive care, they discovered she had developed hyponatremia.
Hyponatremia occurs when an individual’s sodium levels drop too low in their blood. Usually, this occurs when someone has overdosed on fluids. However, this woman had not had excess fluids.
She disclosed that she had been undertaking a detox after the excesses of the festive period. The diet trend she chose had recommended a liquid detox concoction that included valerian root.
Doctors were then able to make a comparison to a similar case that had occurred in the US. There, a 48-year-old man had been trying to curb excess anxiety using valerian root. He too needed hospitalization after developing hyponatremia.
In both cases, the patients recovered after receiving sodium infusions.
However, if these people had not received medical attention, they could have died. Severe hyponatremia causes a person to become confused and delirious. Untreated, it leads to seizures, and in worse cases, death.
Alternative Remedies Unregulated and Deadly
It is a myth that all alternative remedies are harmless in comparison to pharmaceuticals. Generally, none are clinically trialed. Even if individual elements have been, many haven’t. Also, some combinations can be dangerous, and only safe when taken individually.
Valerian root is a very popular remedy recommended for insomnia, depression, and anxiety. But when taken recklessly, it leads to deadly hyponatremia.
Not only are many remedies potentially deadly, some are just outright scams and completely ineffective. You can rest assured, that every detox claim made by manufacturers is also, an outright scam.
Keep reading …